Monday, July 20, 2009

A quarter century.

Yesterday was my 25th birthday. I'll start by prefacing this with the fact that birthdays are a very big deal to me, and I was raised in a family that put birthdays right up there with national holidays. (interestingly, I hate working on my birthday. it just feels wrong).

This birthday was quite different. Probably because 5 week old babies don't understand birthdays and that mama just really wants to sleep. that's all I wanted- sleep. Carter picked that particular night and day to deviate from his normal pattern and be hungry all flippin day. Seriously, the kid was crying to eat every 2 hours. And all that eating led to lots of... the results of eating. A few at very inconvenient times. I mean, VERY. I'll spare you the details but be assured that Carter will be hearing that story and owing us for the rest of his life.

To really sum it up, I'm stealing a quote from dooce.com blogger Heather Armstrong. She's kind of my (and every other bloggers) hero as she makes a living blogging. Oddly enough we share a birthday. Even more odd is that she had a baby the day before Carter was born. So here's her summary of her birthday:

"Yesterday was my 34th birthday, and I spent it much like we've been spending all of our days in the last five weeks, stumbling around in a sleep-derived haze of who are you? Where am I? What's my name again? I mean, we've sort of got a rhythm going, one where the drummer and guitarist are playing two different songs, and the lead singer is just making up words as it goes along, and the sound is just awful but we're calling it "art." "

It wasn't a bad day and had many great moments, including dedicating Carter and lots and lots of family, but it was just weird. Seth and I had already agreed to celebrate on another, less chaotic day. I didn't have a cake, and the only people that sang to me were waiters. Not to mention my gift from my mother was bookends of Carter's initials, a sippy cup and bib set, and a webcam (and I'm pretty sure that's so she can see Carter more often). Seth did do a really good job taking care of Carter as much as he could (though the day also presented obstacles for that) and I got many very nice messages and birthday wishes. And my mom did throw in a docking station as well, I think maybe just so there was something for me. Or maybe so I could charge the camera and take more pictures of Carter to send her.

No comments:

Post a Comment