Monday, August 3, 2009

Missing: July

Last seen for a fleeting moment somewhere around Independence Day.

Seriously, I can't believe it's August and Carter is 7 weeks old. I know everyone says that about their kids, but we had the most chaotic July ever, so that really just accelerated our lives to warp speed. The last half of June was very blurry with very little sleeping and lots of screaming and before we really got through that July hit. A few of our highlights:

  • 27 straight days of family visiting from other states (3 separate sets- some of Seth's family from Rhode Island and New Hampshire, some of my family from Colorado, then some more of Seth's family from Vermont
  • Chandra and Ian's wedding and accompanying wedding festivities
  • Many birthdays, including my sister's, my dad's, and my own plus the resulting festivities
  • Our anniversary, which was pretty sad actually. Our big highlight was picking which frozen meal we wanted to microwave. We're still planning to go out to a slightly fancier dinner at some point, but very small babies make for difficult date nights.
  • Carter's first trip to the zoo
  • Carter's first Padres game. They lost, of course, and I almost lost my mind worrying. We had really amazing seats on the field level right behind 3rd plate. Translation: gazillions of foul balls flying at us faster than you can imagine.
  • My sister and I went to the Fray concert. They were great live, I definitely recommend seeing them.
  • Some fence building
Add in a few sicknesses (one for Carter, a few for me), not nearly enough sleep, and it's really not surprising July was a blur. And that's just what I can remember off the top of my head.

So here we are in August. Hopefully this month will pass a little slower and we won't get sucked up, spun around, and spit out on the other side. Not that we didn't enjoy July, because we did and it was lots of fun, it just wore us out. I plan to take in every moment with Carter before I go back to work in a month and spend lots of time with my sister before she leaves for college in New York at the end of the month. We want to do much, much less, savor the summer, hang out with friends, and spend time with our little family.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
-Ferris Bueller

No comments:

Post a Comment