Monday, January 9, 2012

Just when things were looking up...

Last night, we found out that in less than two weeks Avery won't have a daycare provider so we're frantically searching for the perfect place for her, which is an all too familiar and unsettling process. This morning, Carter woke up crying that he didn't want to go to preschool and was so determined to convince us it was a holiday. He fought us the whole morning and whined the entire way to school, at which point he refused to walk in the door and turned to jell-o the second I picked him up. We're in the initial stages of accepting an offer on our house, which is great, but also means that we may be looking for a new home in the near future. This also makes it hard to pick a new daycare, considering we'd like something close to home and we have no idea where that will be. This comes along with the busiest time of year at work, which doesn't afford me much time to ignore my job and spend 24/7 researching alternative.

I was surprising calm about all of this... well, life hitting the fan. I have officially transitioned to mama bear mode. There's a threat to my children, I need to eliminate the threat.  I believe that with great reward/resource/power comes great responsibility, and that applies here, too. As a parent, I have these incredible blessings and a resulting expansive responsibility. I want everyone to be happy and healthy and fulfilled. Doesn't every mother? Priority number one: make it happen. There is no time for wallowing.

The other balancing factor here is we are incredibly blessed. These kids? They are awesome. Yesterday, I was sorting through the kids' clothes, packing up items that were too small and I found Avery's newborn beanie in the back of her drawer. I was shocked at just how small it was. It seems like a week ago she was this tiny little peanut in this sweet hat, and I honestly cannot remember her ever being that small. It was such a good reminder to cherish what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment