Monday, August 6, 2012

and this is why childhood obesity is a problem.

I don't have the greatest eating habits. I have a fairly unhealthy relationship with dessert, I eat Taco Bell, and I've been known to make vegetables that steam in the microwave.

That being said, my kids eat pretty well. I buy organic baby food and made some of my own. Carter didn't have juice until he was well past 2 and even then it was mostly water and 100% juice. He rarely gets dessert and Avery's never had juice or chocolate or a real cookie. Carter is a fantastic eater so I don't worry too much about him, but I'm pretty passionate about children's nutrition, within reason and moderation of course.

Which is why I'm a little fired up. Avery moved up to the Toddler Room this week at daycare, so she now gets the school-provided breakfast and snack and we can opt in to the lunch program. The menu is just awful. Half the time breakfast is just cereal and milk. For a one year old, I really think they should get a minimum of a protein, grain, and some sort of low-sugar produce. Twice this month they're getting JELLO for snack. Jello is not an acceptable snack. Jello is basically sugar, water, and chemicals. Jello is barely a food. We pay what I consider crazy amounts of money for her care, we shouldn't have to send a different snack than the one included because it's junk.

I'm hesitant to say much because we're still relatively new there and I'm already a pretty vocal parent (not surprising) but does anyone have Jaime Oliver's phone number?

No comments:

Post a Comment