Thursday, April 30, 2009

A funny little encounter

I met the sweetest little girl Tuesday night who cracked me up. I was killing some time before a work dinner (an annoying late one, might I add). I was waddling out of a shoe store and this little girl, probably about 8, was leaving with her mom and her little sister. When she saw me coming toward the door, and I'm hard to miss really, she ran back to hold the door open for me. It was precious. Our brief interaction went like this:

Me: Thank you!

Her: You're welcome. (without even a breath of pause) Is there a baby in there?

Me: Yup, there's a little boy in there.

She looked at her mom like I was the first pregnant woman she had ever seen for reals. Dude, you would have thought she had just made the first confirmed unicorn spotting.

Her: Whatcha gonna name him?

Me: I don't know, maybe Carter. What do you think- is that a good name?

She contemplated this and decided it must have been acceptable, but apparently not as good as some other ideas she had.

Her: Yeah, what about sketch?

Me: Hmmm, sketch (I was just trying not to die laughing at this point). Maybe as a middle name?

Her: Or Thomas? He could be Sketch Thomas Whatever-your-last-name-is!

I don't know who this little girl was or what kind of baby name ideas conjure up Sketch and Thomas in such close succession, but I want to adopt her.

No comments:

Post a Comment