Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thankful.

I love Thanksgiving. I love Christmas more than I love almost anything (hey, I said almost!) but I really enjoy Thanksgiving. It is such a tribute to America. Football? American. Family? American, at least in theory (that's a whole different post). Stereotypical pictures of native Americans and pilgrims? I'm skipping commentary there. Gluttony? Very American. There's something special to me about Thanksgiving because it's the most unifying holiday. You don't have to consider PCing-it up and worry that the grocery clerk or dog walker you pass or whatever may not celebrate the same way you do. The only people who don't celebrate Thanksgiving are ungrateful anti-Americans. Okay, that's probably a little harsh, but you catch my drift.


Last Thanksgiving I was 10 weeks pregnant and still reeling with "morning" sickness. Or all-day-every-day sickness, in my case. I think my Thanksgiving meal consisted of a little mashed potatoes and a crescent roll and some pie. Side note: now that I'm the one and only food source for a baby who eats A LOT (dude, have you seen that kid's rolls? He's almost 1/6 of my weight) I will be eating quite a bit more this year. Like, my own turkey.


Thanksgiving 2008 was still a very special day for two specific reasons. We announced our pregnancy to my extended family, which was great of course. The second reason is that it was a holiday full of promise and hope. We knew last year that we would have a little baby in our arms for Thanksgiving 2009 and we could only imagine what our lives would be like. On this side of it, I have to say that it is so much more amazing than I ever dreamed. I love that little boy more than I knew I could. The only thing really different is how I envisioned a little baby in my arms. Instead I have a tank of an infant rolling all over the place trying to figure out how to run, not walk, all over the place.


Several people have posted something along these lines on Facebook…

"Let's see how many people can do this. Every day this month until Thanksgiving, think of one thing that you are thankful for and post it as your status. "Today I am thankful for..." The longer you do it, the harder it gets! Now if you think you can do it then repost this message as your status to invite others to take the challenge, then post what YOU are thankful for today"


I think this is a lovely idea, and I'm going to try really hard to do that here. I'd love to hear you do the same! My blackberry is dead which may prove a challenge, but I'm also stubborn and determined.


So today I'm thankful for Carter. I realize friends, family, God, etc. are a little cliché and I'll probably get more creative but especially today as I remember last year with nostalgia, nothing seems more appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment