Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Really? At CHURCH?

Another blogger I read posted about an incident with her son that inspired me to post about my own experience, one that I still get a little fired up about, even after a few days have passed.

One thing I love about Carter's daycare is that he gets to explore his world with other kids. He's grown into a (sometimes overly) confident little adverturer and really thrives at his school. He loves this little playhouse they have in the backyard. He delights in running in there, playing with his friends, exploring the sink and the doors and the windows.

Our church also has a TOT lot and the very same playhouse. Let me start by emphasizing TOT. Also, kids are supposed to be supervised at all times.

Carter was playing in the tot lot on Sunday under the watchful eyes of both parents. He decided to go explore the little playhouse. What I couldn't see was the little girl inside the playhouse. Now, the playhouse is big enough for two kids. But she didn't think so. As soon as he opened the door she shoved him backwards and he fell back on his bum on the threshold. She proceeded to kick him out of the way so she could slam the door on him.

Here's the thing: Carter is rarely innocent. He's started pulling hair and actually had one biting incident. I understand kids aren't perfect, and certainly mine rarely is. But he's a toddler testing his boundaries and we are always right there to correct him, correct, and administer a time out when necessary. Honestly, if I'd seen the little girl in the playhouse I probably would have encouraged him to play with something else. However, she was probably about five, old enough not to forcefully act upon a toddler. Her parents weren't there and should have been. Maybe it's a good thing they weren't there because I would have expressed my displeasure with the situation and there's a good chance it would have been more from the mindset of a protective mama bear. Instead, we scooped up a very confused and stunned little boy and left immediately.

This incident, which was probably less than 60 seconds, has really stuck with me all week and caused me to ponder. One, I hope my kids don't beat up on children 20% of their own age. Two, it's sad that it's church, not school, that we have to worry about. Three, how do you correct other peoples' kids when it comes to the safety of your own? And, perhaps, critique other parents' parenting? and four, most importantly, how do I let him explore the world knowing he will get hurt? Eventually, I won't be able to scoop him up and protect him. You know, when he's like 30.

Once again, I think I'll just buy him a bubble and keep him close at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment