Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Stuffed with stuff.

I blew possessions week out of the water. This is not about bragging rights, this is about having WAY too much stuff than a family of four (two of whom are very small) could ever need. 

I purged at least 7 items from every room/area of the house. And it amounted to over 400 items. Some of it had to be thrown out (unless someone wants some medicine that expired before my children were born), but most of it went in a pile to donate.

Emotionally, this was a roller coaster. It was liberating to free myself from a mound (literally, a MOUND) of things we didn’t need. But it was also sickening how much we have that we don’t need, and, if I’m being really honest, probably never needed. And then it was freeing again. Repeat, times 50.

My biggest logistical challenge was time. I happened to be on vacation for much of the week, and busy with work and life the rest of the week, so that was tough. Some of it was maddening. I went through well over 100 pens and sharpies, and purged most of them, but that takes time. Some of it was wonderful. We’re donating 3 trash bags full of stuffed animals to Solutions for Change, which will go to chronically homeless families trying to get their lives back.

I loved involving Carter in this week. I loved seeing him let go. We’ve tried to purge before, and he held so tightly to things he never played with we never got rid of anything. Yet when we put it in the perspective of where these toys were going and why it was important, he started to open his heart and see needs beyond his own. I think his mother could probably learn a thing or two there.

So we have a mountain of boxes and bags, all waiting to go to their new homes (again, time I haven’t had yet). And the craziest thing is I’ve barely made a dent. You can’t tell a single thing is gone. I did a first pass with the time I did have, but there is still so much more. I barely touched one corner of the garage. Moving forward, I want to continue this cycle of careful consideration of what we do have, and be really mindful of what I buy and why. This home can’t possible need another souvenir mug. Ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment